Nightguards in Aurora, IL
Do you suffer from teeth grinding or clenching at night? This common condition, known as bruxism, can cause significant damage to your teeth and jaw.
How to Tell if You Have Bruxism
Unconscious grinding can sometimes go unnoticed, especially if you only grind your teeth at night. There are various signs and symptoms that may indicate you have bruxism. Here are some common indicators to look out for:
- Worn Teeth: If you notice that your teeth are becoming flat, fractured, or chipped, it may be due to grinding.
- Tooth Sensitivity: Teeth grinding can wear down the enamel, causing the teeth to become more sensitive to temperature or pressure.
- Facial Pain/Jaw Pain or Soreness: Clenching and grinding can put stress on the jaw muscles, leading to facial pain or jaw soreness.
- Neck Pain and Chronic Headaches or Earaches: Bruxism can cause tension headaches, often described as a dull pain starting at the temples. Sometimes the pain may also feel like an earache.
- Abnormal Bite: In some cases, bruxism may change the way your upper and lower teeth align.
What is a Nightguard?
A nightguard is a custom-made dental appliance, typically worn while sleeping, to prevent the severe grinding and clenching of teeth. Dental guards lessen the wear and tear on your teeth and aid in reducing the strain on your jaw muscles and joints. Many individuals are unaware that they grind their teeth during sleep until symptoms such as headaches, jaw pain, or worn-down teeth emerge.
Types of Nightguards
There are various types of mouth guards that can be used, and they vary in cost, thickness options, and comfort level.
- Soft Nightguards: Ideal for mild to moderate grinding, these nightguards are made of soft plastic materials that provide comfort and ease of adaptation.
- Dual Laminate Nightguards: For moderate to severe teeth grinders, these nightguards possess a soft material in the inner layer and a harder outer layer for durability.
- Hard Nightguards: Crafted from acrylic material, these are a durable option for individuals with severe bruxism. They are highly durable and provide the best protection against heavy grinding.
- Boil-and-Bite Guards: These are over-the-counter appliances made of thermoplastic material and are designed to be customized at home to fit the user’s teeth.
- Custom Nightguard: A custom nightguard is made using an impression kit to specifically fit an individual’s teeth and mouth. Unlike boil-and-bite nightguards, this custom appliance is made by a dentist or a dental laboratory based on exact dental impressions of your teeth.
Benefits of Oral Appliances
By wearing an oral appliance, you can protect your teeth from damage caused by grinding and clenching. Oral appliances offer a non-invasive and effective solution for a range of dental and sleep-related problems.
- Protection of Teeth: They provide protection against grinding, which can cause teeth to chip, crack, and wear down.
- Prevention of TMJ Disorders: By lessening the stress on the jaw joints, nightguards can help prevent or alleviate a joint disorder called temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders.
- Improvement in Sleep Quality: A nightguard can contribute to a more peaceful night’s sleep by reducing the interruptions caused by night grinding.
- Cost-effective Solution: A nightguard is a cost-effective and simple solution that can save you from expensive dental repairs in the future.
Contact Us for a Custom Nightguard
At Fox Valley Dental Care, we believe in providing personalized care to all our patients. Our experienced dental team will guide you in selecting the best type of nightguard for your needs and ensure a custom fit for maximum effectiveness and comfort.
Don’t let teeth grinding affect your oral health and cause more dental issues. Give us a call to schedule a consultation for your custom nightguard. Take the first step towards safeguarding your smile at Fox Valley Dental Care!