Crown Lengthening in Aurora, IL
What is Crown Lengthening?
Crown lengthening is a dental procedure aimed at exposing more of the tooth’s surface. This is done by removing gum tissue—and sometimes bone—to reveal a larger area of the tooth. Functionally, it is usually necessary for the proper placement of a dental crown or filling. In cosmetic dentistry, it can be used along with gum recontouring to fix a “gummy smile,” where an excessive amount of gum tissue is visible above the teeth.
When is Crown Lengthening Needed?
There are several scenarios where crown lengthening may be necessary:
- Restoring Damaged Teeth: If a tooth is broken or decayed below the gum line, crown lengthening is used to expose more of the tooth so it can be properly restored.
- Placing a Dental Crown or Bridge: This procedure can provide the necessary space to fit a dental crown or bridge effectively.
- Treating Gum Disease: In some cases, crown lengthening is used as part of the treatment process for periodontal disease.
- Cosmetic Reasons: For individuals unhappy with the appearance of short teeth or a gummy smile, this cosmetic dental service can help achieve a more balanced and aesthetically pleasing smile.
The Crown Lengthening Process
- Initial Consultation and Evaluation: Before the procedure, the dentist will evaluate your oral health and determine whether crown lengthening is the appropriate treatment.
- Anesthesia: On the day of the procedure, the dentist will apply a local anesthetic to numb the area and ensure the patient’s comfort.
- Reshaping Gum Tissue and Bone: The dentist will use a soft tissue laser to separate the gums from the teeth. This is done to expose more of the tooth’s surface and, if necessary, the underlying bone. In some cases, only gum tissue needs to be removed, but in others, small amounts of bone may also be removed.
- Cleaning The Area: Once the desired amount of tooth is exposed, the area will be cleaned to remove any debris.
Frequently Asked Questions
At Fox Valley Dental Care, we ensure that the procedure is as comfortable as possible. Local anesthesia is used to numb the area, and post-operative discomfort can usually be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers.
The recovery time varies, but most patients can return to their normal activities the next day. Complete healing of the gums can take a few weeks to a few months. You will need to take proper care of your mouth during this time and avoid any foods or drinks that could irritate the gums.
All dental insurance companies are different, and coverage for crown lengthening varies among insurance plans. If you have questions about using your insurance or need alternative payment options, contact our dental office.
Find Out More About Crown Lengthening in Aurora, IL
If you are looking for cosmetic treatment to fix a “gummy smile,” or if you need crown lengthening to prepare for a restorative dental procedure, give us a call today. Our dentist will come up with a personalized treatment plan to meet your needs.
Take the first step towards your ideal smile by scheduling your consultation today!